We have an exciting opportunity for you! The Institute has partnered with the Minnesota Literacy Council to provide a special volunteer training on-site. This four-session, 12-hour training will provide you with the skills and information you need to effectively volunteer in Adult English Language classrooms. After completion of the four sessions, the Institute and Minnesota Literacy council will work with you to find a volunteer placement. (Because the Institute English classes that has the Classroom Assistant opportunity are day classes, if you have evening and weekend availability, please expect to be referred to another school by the Minnesota Literacy Council through their wide range of organizational partners.)
- Tuesday, May 30, 2017 – 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 1, 2017 – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Tuesday, June 6, 2017 – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Thursday, June 8, 2017 – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Please note that there is a $35 materials fee. All who attend will receive a Minnesota Literacy Council Volunteer Handbook, which provides engaging and effective teaching and tutoring techniques.
Contact Dolan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9074 to register or with any questions.
If you are interested in attending a training, but are unavailable for this session, please visit the Minnesota Literacy Council website for additional opportunities. https://mnliteracy.org/volunteers/training
To assist ESL teachers and students of the Beginning and Intermediate level classes through in class and one-on-one activities.
- Teaching experience
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult learners
- Experience working with English language learners
- Good communication skills
Primary Duties Include:
During day time classes:
- Assist the lead teacher in developing materials and implementing them in the classroom.
- Work with small focus groups of students on particular skills as directed by the lead teacher.
On Wednesday evenings:
- Tutor evening English students in reading, speaking, listening, and writing
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday; 9am-1pm
- Wednesday; 6:30-8:30pm
- Minimum of 10 hours a week