Befriend and acclimate newly-arrived refugees and other immigrants to their Minnesota community through weekly meetings. Mentors will offer their mentees opportunities to attend community events, practice English, and explore community resources.
- Patient, flexible, adaptable and resourceful
- Good cross-cultural communication skills
- Knowledge of community resources and events
- Available to volunteer weekly for minimum of 3 months
- Must complete background check
Primary Duties Include:
- Attend mandatory Refugee Mentor Training
- Maintain weekly contact with mentee for minimum of 3 months
- Listen and provide support
- Introduce community opportunities available in the Twin Cities
- Contact RefugeeCorps Volunteer Coordinator weekly by email or phone to describe weekly activities, report volunteer hours, and identify successes and challenges faced by mentee
- Demonstrate patience while your Refugee Partner begins to understand U.S. culture
- Demonstrate patience while you begin to understand mentee’s culture
- Mandatory Refugee Mentor Training; 2 hours
- Weekly visits with mentee for a minimum of 3 months. Average of 2-3 hours or more per week, especially during the first few weeks. Meetings are very flexible as you can set your own schedule with your Refugee Partner.