Community Orientation Workshops, provided in partnership between Minnesota Council of Churches Refugee Services (MCCRS) and the International Institute of Minnesota (IIMN), provide English and life skills education for people with humanitarian protection immigrant status and who have been in the U.S. less than five years.
The Community Orientation Student Navigator will be responsible for delivering materials to students and providing general student support in the form of technology help, class enrollment assistance and guidance after class completion. The Community Orientation Student Navigator must have reliable transportation and must feel comfortable meeting students outside their homes while wearing a mask. The Navigator will work under the guidance of the English and Life Skills Instructor at IIMN and the Education Specialist at MCCRS. The time commitment for this position is 8-10 hours a week. Applicants must commit to a semester of service, or for a minimum of 4 months.
- Must have a car and the ability to meet students outside their homes
- Highly comfortable working independently and self-directing one’s work
- Able to ask for help when needed
- Able to become comfortable working with a phone interpreter
- Patience, flexibility, and a desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
- Experience working with diverse populations helpful but not required
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult learners helpful but not required
Primary Duties Include:
- Retrieve class materials from International Institute of Minnesota, and deliver to students’ homes
- Provide over-the-phone technology help for students joining online class
- Give students information over-the-phone regarding additional online classes available to them
- Occasionally deliver technology to students and obtain necessary documentation
- Provide students with basic technological instructions upon delivery
- Participate in weekly Zoom check-in with English and Life Skills Instructor and Education Specialist
- Minimum of 8-10 hours/week for 4 months.
- Hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.