The Refugee Employment Services Intern will be working with employment programs within the Refugee Services Department to provide clients the support and preparation needed to achieve self-sufficiency. Clients will typically be New Americans seeking their first job in the United States.
- High school graduate, or enrolled in a post-secondary institution
- At least two years of paid work experience
- Strong written and verbal communication and proficient in Microsoft Office and internet use
- Highly organized and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience interacting with English Language Learners
- Real interest in refugee and immigrant issues
- Preferred: Ability to communicate in one or more of the following languages: Arabic, Somali, Kiswahili, or Oromo
- All Institute interns are required to confirm they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to beginning their internship.
- Assisting with client intake and resume development
- Meeting one-on-one with clients to complete job readiness activities including mock interviews, job application practice and education in American work culture
- Helping clients identify public transportation routes to get to school or a new job
- Conducting job searches and researching potential employers
- Office support: file maintenance, data entry, developing workshop materials and keeping accurate case notes
- Working with other programs and staff as necessary
- 8-12 hours per week
- Minimum of 3 month commitment
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.