The Refugee Services Department at the International Institute of Minnesota houses our core refugee resettlement program and other types of assistance, such as medical case management, social services, health education, and employment services. The majority of our clients are refugees from Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Iraq.
The Health Intern will assist the Refugee Services health staff with the following programs: The New American Health Initiatives program (NAHI) which empowers New Americans to achieve healthcare independence and navigate the U.S., healthcare system, the One Community Program (OCP) which addresses the gaps in health care services for women at risk of Female Genital Cutting (FGC), and the Ethnic Self-Help Program which provides educational workshops to help Somali refugees access the healthcare services and understand cultural differences in family planning and family relations including domestic and sexual abuse.
Training is provided and you will be supervised by IIMN program staff throughout your internship.
• Should be energetic and comfortable in a cross-cultural environment, with a positive attitude
• Should be flexible, able to multitask, and willing to learn
• Second language ability, particularly Somali, French, or Kiswahili preferred
• Should have familiarity with computers, Microsoft products, and making professional phone calls
• Experience working with those who speak English as a second language is a plus
• Candidate must consent to a criminal background check
Primary Duties Include:
• Assist with health programs services
• Call clients for appointment reminders and arrange taxi services if needed
• Maintain absolute confidentially with respect to all information interns review while at the organization
• Enter data into web-based CRM database as needed
• Help gather documents in support of FGM work for the one community program
• Help with outreach and recruitment
• Organize the health tab of the case files
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Minimum of 5 hours/week
• Office is open Monday – Friday, 8:45am-5pm (days and times are flexible, but no weekend hours are available)
• Priority given to candidates who can commit to full semester or three months
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.