The Refugee Services Department at the International Institute of Minnesota houses our core refugee resettlement program. The Institute welcomes refugees to the Twin Cities and assists in the transition process to their new community.
Our Preferred Communities (PC) program works with refugee cases with special or unique needs that require more intensive case management (ex. women at risk, refugees with ongoing medical conditions and elderly refugees). The purpose of the program is to help vulnerable populations overcome barriers as they acclimate to life in the U.S. The Preferred Communities intern will work with Institute staff to assist in the case management of PC clients. Training is provided and you will be supervised by Institute program staff throughout your internship.
- Energetic and comfortable in a cross-cultural environment, with a positive attitude
- Flexible, able to multitask, and willing to learn
- Familiarity with computers, Microsoft products, and making professional phone calls
- Experience working with those who speak English as a second language is a plus
- Second language ability, particularly Karen, French, or Kiswahili preferred
- Candidate must consent to a criminal background check
- All Institute interns are required to confirm they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to beginning their internship.
Primary Duties Include:
- Organizing and creating client files
- Case filing and case noting interactions with clients
- Entering data into web-based CRM database
- Assist clients in applying for social security benefits, medical and mental health referrals, and other necessary documents and services for refugees
- Assisting clients in scheduling medical appointments
- Maintain absolute confidentially with respect to all information interns review while at the organization
*If you have a car that you are willing to use you could also assist case managers with appointments at the client’s home, though this is not required for the position.
- Minimum of 10-15 hours/week
- Office is open Monday – Friday, 8:45am-5pm (days and times are flexible, but no weekend hours are available)
- Priority given to candidates who can commit to full semester or three months
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.