We are proud to announce the release of Cooking for Life: Recipes from Around the World a 50 + recipe cookbook written by the students in the Institute’s English for Work program. These recipes are from cultures all over the world.
- Karen Pickled Tea Leaf Salad (Lehpet Thoke)
- Somali Fried Dumplings (Sambusa)
- Palestinian Chicken and Rice (Maqluba)
- Venezuelan Arepas (Arepas)
- Ukrainian Thin Pancakes (Bellini)
- And dozens more!
Our students are adult refugees and immigrants, and when they arrive in our class, they bring with them a lifetime of experience and a wealth of talent. Students from all four levels of our program, from pre-literate to pre-GED, had a blast collaborating on this cookbook. After weeks of writing recipes, trial cooking, photography, and editing, we have created a selection of recipes of which we are truly proud. Here are a few words from our chefs:
- “I cook everyday for my daughter. She’s working on her PhD at the University of Minnesota. I fill every recipe with love, and I am so happy to share my recipes.” -Amparo from Colombia
- “Every recipe is filled with tradition. It is good to share these traditions with other Minnesotans. Remember to pinch the corners of the sambusa [Somali fried dumplings] closed tight so that no oil gets in!” -Maryan from Somalia
Our students come to the Institute so that we can equip them with the language skills they need to achieve their goals. When you purchase a cookbook you become a critical part of their journey, as 100% of the proceeds are invested in our students.