Please take a moment to remind our elected representatives that we support refugee resettlement and believe New Americans strengthen our nation. Here are a few talking points for you:
- The U.S. refugee resettlement program has historically had bipartisan support. In fact, more refugees have been resettled under Republican presidents than Democratic presidents. The 2012 Republican National Platform stated, “To those who stand in the darkness of tyranny, America has always been a beacon of hope, and so it must remain.”
- Refugees benefit the communities they are resettled in economically and culturally, especially here in Minnesota.
- Despite fears that certain groups of New Americans are unwilling to assimilate, research indicates that New Americans are adapting to American culture more quickly today than at any other point in this country’s history.
- Our current refugee screening process is comprehensive and secure. It takes 18-24 months for a refugee to pass the background checks required for entry to the U.S. Compare this to Canada’s processing, which takes four months on average.
For additional language, you can read announcements from our national agency, U.S. Commission for Refugees and Immigrants.
Find your elected representatives and contact the White House. Notes on contacting the White House:
- To call the White House, dial (202) 456-1414. This will take you to the switch board. Press 1 for the comment line.
- To email the White House, go to https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact. Please be aware that there is a 2,500 character count limit.