Your in-kind donations help refugees, asylees, survivors of trafficking, unaccompanied children and other New Americans by providing essential tools to thrive at work, school and home.
1. Organize a Housing Donation Drive
In the upcoming year, the International Institute of Minnesota will be welcoming newly arrived refugee families from around the world, including those from Afghanistan and Ukraine. You can help us prepare for their arrival by organizing a Housing Donation Drive. Drive organizers play an essential role in welcoming new families by sourcing a complete set of donations from friends, family or through service opportunities.
Housing Donation Drive Organizers:
- Commit to collecting a complete set of essential items that a family needs on move-in day. Click to view or print the list of supplies needed for each donation drive.
- A complete set includes at least 92 items. Some of those are larger items like bedding sets, but 25 of them are clothes hangers!
- We also provide a list of “bonus items” like baking sheets and rugs that are helpful, but not required for a set to be considered complete.
- Online wish lists, Facebook/Instagram/Venmo fundraisers, or in-person collection boxes may be useful strategies for bringing community into your project.
- Sort and count supplies, checking for quality to ensure they are fit for distribution.
- Once all items have been collected, schedule a donation drop-off by contacting Hayat Mohamed at HMohamed@iimn.org or 651-377-8663
- We do not have reception staff available for unscheduled drop off. Please contact Hayat to schedule a time to drop off your drive.
We do not accept: furniture, clothing or individual household items not part of a complete housing set up.
For more information, please contact Hayat Mohamed, Volunteer & Community Partnerships Manager at HMohamed@iimn.org or 651-377-8663
Are the items above too much for your group size? Would you like to organize a mini drive? Please reach out to Hayat through the contact information above to see what items above are most needed right now.
2. Donate Items Through our Amazon Wish List
Through the Institute’s Amazon Wish List, you can purchase our most-needed items of the season and they will ship directly to our office! Click here to shop for donations. Thank you!