The College Readiness Academy (CRA) is a partnership that provides college preparation to New Americans and others who are not yet ready for college, as well as support for New Americans who are currently in college. We are seeking volunteers with a commitment to education equity who are eager to help New American adults succeed in their pursuit of higher education. Tutors from a variety of subject areas are encouraged to apply!
- Comfortable with college level course material in specific subject area of interest (ex. English, Math, Biology).
- Interest in working with immigrant and refugee adults.
- Previous tutoring and/or experience working with English language learners preferred, but not required.
- Ability to present material clearly and adapt to different learning styles.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Comfortable using Zoom, Google Docs, and/or similar online platforms to facilitate remote tutoring during COVID-19
- Work with students one-on-one to provide subject-area knowledge and support student’s academic growth.
- Can also help students develop study skills and organization techniques to improve their academic performance.
- 1-2 hours per week with specific days and times to be determined between student and tutor.
- New tutors are placed at the beginning of each semester (January and August) once students know their class schedule. A mandatory orientation session will be held before each semester begins.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please use our online volunteer application.