Our English classes focus on providing a place for students to consistently and comfortably develop the skills required to live and work in the United States. Students range from pre-literacy learners to preparing for the GED. Our English Language Program offers a Conversation Class to help English language students practice holding conversations in English.
*Due to COVID-19, all English classes are hosted online using Zoom. All English program volunteers must know how to use the Zoom platform.
Conversation Hour meets every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday on Zoom from 1:00 – 2:00pm. Students and volunteers come together to talk about everything from their daily lives and work to news and current events. The goal of the hour is to keep talking and using English skills.
- Good communication skills and comfortable with small talk, leading conversation, and listening to facilitate active conversation in others
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult English language learners
- Ability to use Zoom to effectively control a class
- Confident working independently and running a class
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
The Conversation Lead Volunteer Teacher is the administrator for the hour. Each Conversation Hour session has a Conversation Lead Volunteer Teacher to perform administrative tasks such as:
- Welcoming students and volunteers into the session.
- Using Zoom breakout rooms to move students and volunteers into small groups.
- Leading a small group in conversation during the hour.
- Tracking student attendance.
- Commuting with IIM staff when necessary
- Flexible with volunteer availability but must be:
- Once or more weekly: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday
- One hour long: between the hours of 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM