Our English classes focus on providing a place for students to consistently and comfortably develop the skills required to live and work in the United States. Students range from pre-literacy learners to preparing for the GED. Our English Language Program has developed a Driver’s Education Class through funding from the Minnesota Department of Education to teach English language students the information necessary to pass the written driver’s permit test.
*Due to COVID-19, all English classes are hosted online using Zoom. All English program volunteers must know how to use the Zoom platform.
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult English language learners
- Ability to use Zoom to effectively control a class
- Good communication skills
- Confident working independently and running a class
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
- Teach Driver’s Education independently using IIM developed curriculum
- Connect with students on their individual needs in regards to driving and adapt materials accordingly
- Track student attendance
- Communicate regularly with IIM staff regarding needs, class, and progress
- Flexible with volunteer availability but must be:
- Twice weekly: Monday, Wednesday, or Friday
- One hour long: between the hours of 12:00pm and 3:00pm
*Interested volunteers should attend the Literacy Minnesota online Remote Tutoring 101 volunteer training and one additional Literacy Minnesota training. Please visit the Minnesota Literacy Council website for additional information. https://www.literacymn.org/volunteer-trainings