Our English Language Program has steady volunteer opportunities during the morning as well as sporadic evening opportunities. English classes focus on providing a place for students to consistently and comfortably develop the skills required to live and work in the United States. Students range from pre-literacy learners to preparing for the GED. This wide range of learners over four classrooms gives volunteers an opportunity to connect to students and create meaningful relationships.
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult learners, preferred but not required
- Experience working with English language learners, preferred but not required
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
- Assist English teachers and students in our English classrooms.
- Assist the lead teacher in preparing materials and everyday class activities.
- Work with small focus groups of students on particular skills as directed by the lead teacher.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday; 9am-11am or 11am to 1pm
- Wednesday; 6:30-8:30pm
- Minimum of 4 hours a week
Please use our online volunteer application.
We encourage current and potential volunteers to attend a Minnesota Literacy Council volunteer training session. This four-session, 12-hour training will provide you with the skills and information you need to effectively volunteer in Adult English Language classrooms. Please note that there is a $35 materials fee. All who attend will receive a Minnesota Literacy Council Volunteer Handbook, which provides engaging and effective teaching and tutoring techniques. Please visit the Minnesota Literacy Council website for additional information. https://mnliteracy.org/volunteers/training