Our English Language Program has steady volunteer opportunities during the morning as well as sporadic evening opportunities. English classes focus on providing a place for students to consistently and comfortably develop the skills required to live and work in the United States. Students range from pre-literacy learners to preparing for the GED. This wide range of learners over four classrooms gives volunteers an opportunity to connect to students and create meaningful relationships.
Assist English teachers and students in our English classrooms.
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult learners, preferred but not required
- Experience working with English language learners, preferred but not required
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
- Assist the lead teacher in preparing materials and everyday class activities.
- Work with small focus groups of students on particular skills as directed by the lead teacher.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday; 9am-1pm
- Wednesday; 6:30-8:30pm
- Minimum of 4 hours a week
We encourage current and potential volunteers to attend a Minnesota Literacy Council volunteer training session. This four-session, 12-hour training will provide you with the skills and information you need to effectively volunteer in Adult English Language classrooms. Please note that there is a $35 materials fee. All who attend will receive a Minnesota Literacy Council Volunteer Handbook, which provides engaging and effective teaching and tutoring techniques. Please visit the Minnesota Literacy Council website for additional information. https://mnliteracy.org/volunteers/training