Our English Language Program has steady volunteer opportunities during the morning as well as sporadic evening opportunities. English classes focus on providing a place for students to consistently and comfortably develop the skills required to live and work in the United States. Students range from pre-literacy learners to preparing for the GED. This wide range of learners gives volunteers an opportunity to connect to students and create meaningful relationships.
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult learners, preferred but not required
- Experience working with English language learners, preferred but not required
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
- Assist English teachers and students in our English classrooms.
- Work with small groups of students or individuals on particular skills as directed by the lead teacher.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday; 9-11am, 11:30am to 1pm, or 9am-1pm
- Minimum of 2 hours a week – 3 month minimum preferred
Please use our online volunteer application.
*We encourage current and potential volunteers to attend the Minnesota Literacy Council ESL Tutor Pre-Service volunteer training session. This four-session, 12-hour training will provide you with the skills and information you need to effectively volunteer in Adult English Language classrooms. Please note that there is a $35 materials fee. All who attend will receive a Minnesota Literacy Council Volunteer Handbook, which provides engaging and effective teaching and tutoring techniques. Please visit the Minnesota Literacy Council website for additional information. https://mnliteracy.org/volunteers/training