Our English classes focus on providing a place for students to consistently and comfortably develop the skills required to live and work in the United States. Students range from pre-literacy learners to preparing for the GED. Our English Language Program provides four levels of grammar instruction: Grammar A, Grammar B, Grammar C, and Grammar D.
Grammar A is looking for a classroom assistant to work directly with students under the supervision of the lead teacher.
*Due to COVID-19, all English classes are hosted online using Zoom. All English program volunteers must know how to use the Zoom platform.
- Patience and willingness to learn about pre-literacy learners
- Experience teaching or tutoring adult English language learners
- Ability to use Zoom to effectively control a class
- Share screen
- Mute functionality
- Good communication skills and ability to communicate via email
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, desire to listen, talk, and learn with New Americans
- Act as a classroom assistant
- Lead small groups through activities
- Lead conversation
- Communicate regularly with the lead teacher on student progress and expectations
- Flexible with volunteer availability but must be
- Once weekly: Monday or Wednesday
- 9:30 – 11:00 am
Please use our online volunteer application.
*Interested volunteers should attend the Literacy Minnesota online Remote Tutoring 101 volunteer training and one additional Literacy Minnesota training. Please visit the Minnesota Literacy Council website for additional information.