When newly-arrived clients walk into the Institute searching for their first job in the United States they need an entry-level job that does not require a high level of English or previous experience. The Hospitality Careers Pathway serves New Americans facing barriers to employment. The Hospitality Volunteer will work with clients in the Institute’s weekly drop-in job search help. They will assist job seekers as they prepare for jobs in the American workplace. The Hospitality Volunteer will work directly with students in the Hospitality Program in a mostly independent role.
Volunteers who have enjoyed this position in the past have been patient, good listeners, energetic, comfortable with independent problem-solving, and interested in tutoring.
- Interest in ESL learners and ability to work with diverse groups of students
- Good communication with low-level English speakers
- Understands job application and interview process
- Basic understanding of different employment industries
- Ability to work flexibly, independently problem solve, and identify solutions to issues that arise
- Demonstrated interest in refugee and immigrant issues
- Assist clients in creating resumes and cover letters, performing mock interviews, and completing online job searches and applications
- Assist clients in learning bus routes to employment sites
- Fridays from 1-4pm
- 3 month minimum commitment
Please use our online volunteer application.