College Readiness Academy helps immigrant and refugee adults prepare for and succeed in college. We are seeking volunteers with a commitment to education equity who are eager to help New Americans succeed in their pursuit of higher education. Math tutors help students avoid expensive remedial education classes and thrive in their college-level math classes.
- Comfortable with college algebra level concepts, including but not limited to solving equations, inequalities, and systems of equations; working with exponents and radicals; and polynominal and quadratic equations (study materials will be provided).
- Interest in working with immigrant and refugee adults.
- Previous math tutoring and/or experience working with English language learners preferred, but not required.
- Ability to present material clearly and adapt to different learning styles.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Work with students one-on-one to improve math skills, either to prepare them for the Math Accuplacer exam or provide extra support in college-level math classes.
- 1-2 hours per week with specific days and times to be determined between student and tutor.
Please use our online volunteer application.