We are looking for empathetic, patient, motivated people to help us pilot a Volunteer Navigator program at the Institute. A Volunteer Navigator is part-guidance counselor, part-coach, part-cheerleader, and part-mentor. If you are eager to use your communication skills and your creative problem-solving to help our adult English language learners reach their career, educational and personal goals, this opportunity could be for you.
• Prior experience with adult learners and/or working in a counseling or human resources related field preferred, but not required
• Proficient in English
• Dependable, prompt, patient, flexible
• Respectful of differences
• Excellent listening skills; ability to empathize with and encourage others
• Able to maintain confidentiality
Minnesota Literacy Council’s Volunteer Navigator Trainings on October 9th and October 16th from 6-9 pm. Register here.
• Meet regularly and punctually at the International Institute of Minnesota, 1694 Como Ave., St. Paul, MN 55108
• Prepare each session to meet the learners’ goals and needs
• Keep a record of session activities and learner progress
• Provide reports as requested by the program coordinator
• Inform coordinator of problems or absences
• Ask for help from program staff when an answer is not apparent
• Follow up with learners if absences occur
Two hours once per week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday between the hours of 10am and 1pm (same time/day each week), for a minimum of three to four months after training.
Please use our online volunteer application.