*Merged with Matching Grant Internship for Fall of 2020. Time will be split between the two positions.
The Unaccompanied Children (UC) program at the International Institute of Minnesota works with immigrant children who are placed with family or another custodian in the service region (Minnesota, South Dakota, and North Dakota). Staff monitor the children’s safety and provide supportive case management services to assist families with school enrollment, healthcare, food support services, mental health services, referral to immigration and legal services, community orientation and connection to additional community resources depending on the child’s and family’s needs.
The UC Social Work intern will work closely with our UC case manager to provide social services to clients.
Training is provided and you will be supervised by IIMN program staff throughout your internship.
● REQUIRED: Fluent in Spanish and English
● Completed or working toward a college degree in Social Work or a related field (ex. Human Services)
● Energetic with a positive attitude and comfortable in a cross-cultural environment
● Flexible, able to multitask, and willing to learn
● Experience with computers and Microsoft products
● Candidate must consent to a criminal background check
● All Institute interns are required to confirm they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to beginning their internship.
● Research and identify local resources as well as refer clients to local agencies as needed
● Support clients in accessing services by assisting with completing applications, making phone calls to providers, and coordinating appointments.
● Assist supervisor with completing check in calls with clients and assessing for current needs
● Update case files and provide additional office support as needed
● Assist supervisor with other projects as required. Intern may assist with other programs within the Refugee Services Department depending on program needs.
● Minimum of 10-15 hours/week for at least one full semester
● Work will be completed between the hours of Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm (days and times are flexible)
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.