Many New Americans have a fear of public transit because of safety concerns and the added challenge of a language barrier. The Bus Buddy program hopes to change this and alleviate the isolation felt by a lack of transportation. The purpose of the Bus Buddy Program is to assist newly arrived immigrants and refugees to become self-sufficient when it comes to public transportation.
- Candidate should be patient, flexible, resourceful and have good communication skills.
- Candidate should be able to adapt to different learning styles.
- Candidate should have experience working in a cross-cultural environments.
- Candidate should be able to pass a background check.
Primary Duties Include:
- Assist newly arrived immigrants and refugees in becoming self-sufficient when it comes to public transportation.
- Meet with a client and provide individual bus instruction from their home to their destination of choice (ex. the International Institute, schools, grocery store, job, etc).
- Assist with the development of transportation curriculum.
- Assist with monthly transportation orientations.
- One, 4 hour slot per week
- Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
Please use our online volunteer application.