*This position is currently on pause as we work on relaunching the Refugee Mentor program. If you’re interested in being a Refugee Mentor in the future, please check the ‘Refugee Mentor’ box on the Volunteer Application.
Befriend and acclimate newly-arrived refugees and other immigrants to their Minnesota community through weekly meetings. Mentors will offer their mentees opportunities to attend community events, practice English, and explore community resources.
- Patient, flexible, adaptable and resourceful
- Good cross-cultural communication skills
- Knowledge of community resources and events
- Available to volunteer weekly for minimum of 3 months
- Must complete background check
Primary Duties Include:
- Attend mandatory Refugee Mentor Training
- Maintain weekly contact with mentee for minimum of 3 months
- Listen and provide support
- Introduce community opportunities available in the Twin Cities
- Contact Volunteer Coordinator weekly by email or phone to describe weekly activities, report volunteer hours, and identify successes and challenges faced by mentee
- Demonstrate patience while your Refugee Partner begins to understand U.S. culture
- Demonstrate patience while you begin to understand mentee’s culture
- Mandatory Refugee Mentor Training; 2 hours
- Weekly visits with mentee for a minimum of 3 months. Average of 2-3 hours or more per week, especially during the first few weeks. Meetings are very flexible as you can set your own schedule with your Refugee Partner.
Please use our online volunteer application.