Our Immigration Services offer security and stability for the displaced individuals in our community. Each year the Institute assists over 2,000 refugees, asylees, and immigrants with citizenship, lawful permanent residency, replacement of documents, and other immigration-related issues. Immigration Services Interns work with our Immigration team to assist clients with the processing and filing of applications for lawful permanent residence, family reunification, and other immigration petitions necessary to receive legal residency in the United States and reunite family members.
- Candidate should have a strong interest in learning about immigrant and refugee communities
- Candidate must be comfortable talking with limited English proficient clients, primarily over the telephone
- Candidate must have good written English
- Candidate should have experience living or volunteering in a cross-cultural environment
- Candidate should be familiar with computers and the Internet
- Candidate should be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Candidate must be able to pay attention to detail
- Candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
Primary Duties Include:
- Assist immigration services counselor with the following tasks:
- Assist legal permanent residents to apply for US citizenship
- Prepare immigration files and program mail (including letters) for submission
- Complete case notes and update databases as appropriate
- Review and analyze cases generated by database reports
- Process USCIS (immigration) mail for over 1,000 clients
- Inform clients about time-sensitive USCIS appointments and processing times and respond to client’s immigration-related questions
- Complete immigration-related research
- Update referral material
- Complete small projects for other agency programs as needed
- Take passport and immigration photos
- Minimum of 12 hours/week for 4 months. Willing to consider less weekly hours if commitment can be made for more than 4 months.
- Hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.