The majority of our clients are refugees from Somalia, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Iraq. The Matching
grant intern works closely with the Matching Grant Program Manager, Employment Counselor, and Case Aide
to help newly arrived immigrants become self-sufficient by assisting with case management, employment
counseling and financial literacy tools. The Matching Grant Intern’s time will be split 50/50 between
administration duties and direct client services.
If you have a car that you are willing to use you could also assist case managers with apartment set up and
Training is provided and you will be supervised by IIMN program staff throughout your internship.
• Should be energetic with a positive attitude and be comfortable in a cross-cultural environment
• Should be flexible, able to multitask, and willing to learn
• Second language ability, particularly Somali, Karen, French, or Kiswahili preferred
• Should have experience with computers and Microsoft products
• Candidate must consent to a criminal background check
Primary Duties Include:
• Interact with clients, documenting and communicating information to program staff to assist clients’
• Create resumes, complete mock interviews with clients, apply for jobs online.
• Assist job club class once a week, working individually with attendees and in group.
• Teach clients bus routes from home to Institute or from home to work.
• Working with Xcel spreadsheets to enter and track financial data.
• Case filing and case noting interactions with clients.
• Communicating with county services, landlords, interpreters with/on behalf of clients.
• Assist employment counselor research/contact employers in the twin cities area.
• Follow up with clients and employers to obtain necessary employment documents for reporting.
• Work on program project (TBD) by Program Manager.
• Minimum of 12-15 hours/week
• Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm (days and times are flexible)
• Priority given to candidates who can commit to full semester or three months
Complete the internship application form. Applications without resumes will not be accepted for this position.