Sign Up for College Readiness Academy (CRA)
Our College Readiness Academy (CRA) is a free program that provides college preparation to New Americans and others who are not yet ready for college and would like additional support navigating higher education.
This program practices the same skills as expensive prep classes run by colleges. Most students need fewer reading and writing classes. Some students will even be ready to begin college-level (general education) classes. Our college partners are Saint Paul College, Hennepin Technical College and Metropolitan State University. Our adult education partner is Hubbs Center.
Upon successful completion of the program, you may be eligible for 3 university-level credits at Metropolitan State University. Learn more about our partnership here.
We have students of many different ages and backgrounds. Some are nursing assistants who want to go to college to advance their medical careers. Some are stay-at-home parents who want higher education. Others are nurses, accountants, lawyers, engineers or teachers in their home countries and want to get retrained in the U.S. Talk to us about your goals!
Our Summer 2023 session is currently running and closed.
Students interested in CRA for the Fall semester 2023, should fill out the form below to receive further instructions. *THIS IS NOT AN APPLICATION TO THE PROGRAM* Intake days will take place over Zoom in August; students will meet the instructor, learn more about the class and complete our entrance test.
College Readiness Academy Results
- The average GPA of a CRA student in college is 3.6
- College navigators have helped CRA students earn over $120,000 in scholarships
- By choosing CRA instead of ESL or remedial classes at a college, CRA students have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition since 2015
- 72 students have graduated college since 2018 (2 year, 4 year, multiple degrees).
- 82% of the students who have begun college since 2016 have persisted toward graduation.
- 334 CRA students have enrolled in college since 2015
- Today, there are 192 CRA students studying in college.
Learn more in MinneTESOL Journal: College Readiness Academy: Increasing equity by removing barriers to higher education
College Readiness Academy Goals
With the instructor, students will build:
- Reading skills ─ such as critical analysis and vocabulary-building
- Writing skills ─ such as essay-writing and process-writing
- Study skills ─ such as scanning, note-taking, and test-taking
- Computer skills ─ such as word processing and research
With college navigators, students will learn:
- How the college system works
- How to plan their classes
- How to apply for financial aid
- How to balance school, work, and home life
For more information, contact Giovanna Antrop-Colón at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 377-8658 .
“For me the problem with college is not the concepts. It’s how to better understand what I had to do. Without CRA I think it would have taken me a long, long time.”
-Gnande, CRA graduate
“I learned in classes to express myself and to use my critical thinking skills to solve problems. The navigator is always available to answer questions and helps to put in place the college process.”
-Christelle, CRA graduate