The College Readiness Academy (CRA) is a partnership that provides college preparation to New Americans and others who are not yet ready for college.
Some of our students are now nursing assistants who want to go to college to advance their careers. Some are stay-at-home parents who now want higher education. Others were nurses, accountants, business people, lawyers, engineers, or teachers “back home” and want to get retrained.
Our college partner is Saint Paul College; our adult education partner is Hubbs Center.
This free program practices the same skills as expensive prep classes run by colleges that cost $1300-$3000. Most students show great improvement on the Accuplacer test and need fewer reading and writing classes. Some students will even be ready to begin college-level (general education) classes.
Applicants must register for one Information & Test Day. To register or get more information, contact Madie at 651-647-0191 x 321 or MSpartz@iimn.org.
With the instructor, students will build:
- Reading skills — such as critical analysis and vocabulary-building
- Writing skills — such as essay-writing and process-writing
- Study skills — such as scanning, note-taking, and test-taking
- Computer skills — such as word processing and research
With college navigators, students will learn:
- How the college system works
- How to plan their classes
- How to apply for financial aid
- How to balance school, work, and home life
Spring Semester College Readiness
- Jan. 21 – May 15, 2020
- 4 days a week: Tuesday through Friday
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Applicants must register for one of the following testing dates:
- Dec. 30, 2019 at 10 a.m.
- Jan. 7, 2020 at 10 a.m.
- Jan. 15, 2020 at 10 a.m.
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Take reading and writing placement tests
- Be able to write a good paragraph
- Be able to communicate clearly in conversation
Applicants must register for one Information & Test Day. To register or get more information, contact Norzin at 651-647-0191 x 353 or NWaleag@iimn.org OR Madie at 651-647-0191 x 321 or MSpartz@iimn.org.