Enroll in high-quality, free certified nursing assistant (CNA) training at the International Institute of Minnesota and get help finding a job after graduation!
The Nursing Assistant Training program at the Institute prepares New Americans to work as certified nursing assistants in nursing homes and other health care facilities. Our dedicated employment specialists assist graduates with the job search process, and our employer partners provide countless job opportunities for our motivated graduates. We are proud to be part of the solution to the caregiver crisis in Minnesota by filling critical labor gaps.
- Registration for October to December session is closed. Please follow the link below for the January to March 2022 session.
- Classes will mostly be taught online. Clinicals will be in person at a facility.
- You must have the COVID vaccine, computer and internet to participate in the program.
Four steps to apply
- To register for the online English Reading Assessment, complete the form at the bottom of this page. You will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive that please check your spam and maybe re-submit the online form to confirm your email address is entered correctly.
- Late November you will be emailed instructions on how to complete the online English Reading assessment and invited to an online information session.
- Staff will inform you if your assessment level is high enough to attend an information session.
- Submit the application provided to you after attending the information session.
To qualify for Nursing Assistant Training, an applicant must:
- Have permission to work in the US (refugee, permanent resident, naturalized U.S. citizen or work authorization)
- Complete the Reading Assessment with a high intermediate level.
- Speak and understand English well enough to succeed in class and communicate with staff and residents in the healthcare facilities where you will work
- Be in good physical condition
- Have had the COVID vaccine
- Have a working computer and internet
- Nursing Assistant Training is free; there is no tuition.
- Students pay $30 for a background check and $100 for the state Nursing Assistant Certification test.
- Students are responsible for providing their own uniform and transportation to and from clinicals.
- 97% of graduates pass the Nursing Assistant state certification exam
- 87% of students are hired after graduation
- $14.59/hour is the average wage of our certified students, with opportunity for advancement
- Read our nursing assistant student stories
Registration is closed for our October 6 to December 23, 2021 training. You may submit your information below if you are interested in an upcoming session.